+86 28 8521 4086
- Education Trips
- Eco Tours
- Family Tours
- Special Column
- About Us
+86 28 8521 4086
1 Day Panda Volunteer and Insect Museum of West China
Age: 8+ Child with Family
Date: Sept.19, 2023 Trip Code: VA001
Trip Focus: Panda Volunteer + Insects Study
Route: Chengdu urban district-Panda paradise-Huaxi Insect Museum-Chengdu urban district
Being loved by people around the world, giant pandas got a huge number of panda addicts enjoying panda time in many different ways. In the hometown of the giant panda, the panda fans are advantaged to be able to observe and taking care of the giant pandas at a close distance. In Dujiangyan Panda Park, which is only 60km away from Chengdu city proper, you can work as a panda volunteer to experience the daily life of panda keepers by cleaning the panda enclosures, making panda cake, and feed them by yourself.
As a neighbor of Dujiangyan Panda Park, the Insect Museum of West China is a famous insect museum known to insects lovers around the world due to its huge number of insects collection and a great variety of insects. According to a good number of media, it is the largest insects museum in Asia and recognized by the academic circles as the museum with the most complete collection of butterfly species of China in the world.
▲ Volunteers in our past trips
▲ Insects Museum of West China
During this trip, you will be led by a nature teacher from ApandaTour and a panda park staff during the volunteering. We will go to Dujiangyan Panda Park to observe the giant pandas at close distances and experience the daily life of a panda keeper. After volunteering, you will get a volunteer certificate from the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda. At the Insects Museum of West China, we will see the abundant collection of various insects, learn about insects and know the secrets of insects. In that way, we feel the diversity and colorfulness of the natural world.
▲ Do you know the favorite food for pandas is bamboo?
1. Get to know Giant Panda from the scientific perspective：Observe Giant Pandas including their morphological features and their life habits, interpret them with knowledge of animal behavior and correct the misunderstandings on panda behaviors and learn the strong surviving wisdom of the giant pandas;
2. Enjoy happiness from participation：Experience the hardship and fun side of the daily works of a panda keeper and build up our sense of responsibilities and happiness from doing meaningful works;
3. Drive up the motive powers of nature exploration：Through various nature explorations, we discover the beauty of biodiversity, enjoy the fun of natural things and stimulate our curiosity for nature;
4. Acquire skills for nature observation：Experience the work skills of a panda keeper's daily work and learn the basic skills for plant observation.
▲ The daily work of a panda keep——take care of giant pandas
1. Experience the daily work of a panda keeper：The experience includes cleaning enclosures, food preparation, making panda cake, and feeding pandas. You will gain multiple experiences of volunteer work and understand the daily works of a panda keeper;
2. Observation and Analysis of Panda Behaviors：Led by a CCRCGP staff, we will observe the behaviors and life habits of Giant Panda, learn about their companion animals such as Lesser Panda, and Asiatic Black Bear，as well as how a Giant Panda adapt to its environment;
3. ApandaTour Nature Class：Led by our plant teacher, we will learn the abundant plant resources inside the Dujiangyan Panda Park and know about their private life;
4. Visit the Largest Insects Museum of West China：Enjoy various valuable butterflies from home and abroad, the biggest and smallest insects in the world, and national butterflies of various countries.
▲ Making Panda Cake——volunteer activities in our past trips
▲ Tour Map
07:00-08:40 Meet at a designated place in Chengdu and drive to Dujiangyan Panda Park by our private bus.
08:40-09:00 Arrive at the volunteer service center of Dujiangyan Panda Park，register and get working suites, pass, gloves, work tasks and get informed about the things that need to pay special attention.
09:00-10:00 Experience Panda Volunteer, take away the remaining bamboo from the panda enclosure, collect the panda poohs, wash the panda enclosure, bring fresh bamboo, and place them in a fixed place. There will be a little class about how to get information from panda scats.
10:00-11:00 Visit Panda Park, observe and learn the morphological features, and behavior habits of Giant Panda, and some common knowledge about giant pandas. Visit the enclosures for the companion animals of giant pandas like Lesser Panda and Moon Bear, learn the significance to their companion animals from Giant Panda conservation.
11:00-11:30 “Panda Feeding”time：learn how to feed pandas safely and feed giant pandas with food such as bamboo shoots, apples, and carrots.
11:30-12:20 Enjoy the delicious lunch with panda keepers.
12:20-14:00 ApandaTour nature class. Find interesting plants inside the panda park through our nature games, learn how to make nature notes, share personal gain from nature observation.
14:00-14:30 “Panda Feeding” and“Panda Food chef”. Learn how to break the big bamboos for pandas and how to make panda cake, make your artistic panda cake.
14:30-14:50 We complete our volunteer work and get the Giant Panda Volunteer Certificate and souvenirs.
14:50-16:00 Board our bus for the Insects Museum of West China to enjoy the mysterious world of insects at the largest Insects Museum in Asia.
16:00-17:30 Return to Chengdu and summarize in our bus.
▲ ApandaTour Nature Class——our past activities
A plant expert, photography teacher and snow mountain lover
Cory's love for plants and nature started from a very young age with rich knowledge and experiences on plant survey. During his study at Sichuan University, he started outdoor hiking. Out of his strong love for plants, he traveled to different parts of Sichuan and neighboring areas and photographed over one thousand plant species. He co-founder of some new plant species and new distribution of plants in Sichuan. Frequently, he is interviewed by the local newspaper, and TV stations. In one of the TV programs called To the West of Chengdu, he showed some unique flowers in southwest China. Through his lens and sharing, he hopes to help more people to appreciate the beauty of plants.
Also as a snow mountain lover, Cory is one of the founders of an interest group called For the Snow Mountains to the West Chengdu and their activities have been reported by local TV stations many times.
A nature class designer, nature guide, and nature educator
Born in Zhangye of Gansu Province, Bill started his work in an NGO in China, specializing in children's education. He has a wide range of interests, loving bird-watching and enjoying board games. Bill is also familiar with video editing software. He likes making some creative and interesting video clippings with materials he has photographed during trips. After years of working in natural education, Bill becomes very skilled at class design and development. He has built up rich experiences of guiding outdoor activities from his frequent working in the field with students for natural experience and observation activities. He always makes use of any possible chance to go to nature in search of birds and wildlife to enrich his field experiences. Bill also holds AHA first-aid certificate.
Location：Dujiangyan Panda Park and Insects Museum of West China
Dates：September 19 , 2023
Target Participants：Children above 8
Trip Size：12-24 pax，minimum 10 pax
Price：230USD/pax（ Same price for adults and children，including the charges for panda volunteering ）
The price includes: the use of a private bus during the trip for the itinerary as mentioned above, charges for entrance and panda volunteering, a lunch at Panda Park Staff Canteen, service charges for panda park staff, a museum guide and an ApandaTour nature teacher, material preparation for the class, and travel insurance
The price does not include: personal expenditure and any items not specified as being included in the itinerary
Transportation：A registered tour bus for the whole trip for the itinerary above.
Food：Lunch with panda park staff at their staff canteen.
1. All around process control and safety check before the start of the trip.
2. Staff with AHA first aid certificate and first aid kit during the whole trip.
3. Detailed rules and reminders for the trip and ensure all the participating parents and children know them.
4. Measures for epidemic prevention：we will prepare epidemic prevention materials such as surgery masks, pure alcohols, hand sanitizer, and thermometer. We will have a temperature check before the start of our trip activities.
Is there any physical requirement for a panda volunteer?
We need to sign a safety agreement with panda park before the start of volunteering including a health announcement. If you have symptoms of a cold, fever, or carrying other contagious diseases, you can not do volunteer work for the safety and health of the giant pandas.
Is there anything we need to pay special attention to for the panda volunteer?
We need to make a reservation for the panda volunteer in advance. Panda Park only accepts reserved volunteers. They only allow a certain number of volunteers each day for the welfare of pandas. We suggest you wear anti-slip shows and not use perfume or Water repellent. Before the start of the trip, we will send you more detailed information through email for your better preparation.